[FOM] Negation, Contradiction, Contravalence and Complementarity

Frode Bjørdal frode.bjordal at ifikk.uio.no
Mon Nov 5 16:10:43 EST 2012

Dear all,

I hope many on the list will find interest in the content of the abstract
for my talk Negation,Contradiction, Contravalence and
Complementarity<http://www.hf.uio.no/ifikk/forskning/aktuelt/arrangementer/gjesteforelesninger-seminarer/faste-seminarer/filosofiskseminar/program-hosten-2012/bjordal.html>on
Friday for Filosofisk Seminar at the University of Oslo. This short
abstract has links to an extended abstract and to the recently published
article Librationist Closures of the Paradoxes which supplies the stringent
background and more topics of potential interest. One chief purpose of the
lecture is to argue that although the librationist system £ for some
formulas *A* has *A* as a theorem and also has ∼*A* as a theorem, £ is
neither inconsistent nor contradictory. We argue that in the paradoxical
cases where we have both that *A* is a theorem as well as that ∼*A* as a
theorem, * A* and ∼*A* are complementary sentences which say the same thing
in opposite ways. Needless to say, but this is made much more precise. In
consequence, £ should not be counted as a paraconsistent system.

Best wishes

Frode Bjørdal
Professor i filosofi
IFIKK, Universitetet i Oslowww.hf.uio.no/ifikk/personer/vit/fbjordal/index.html