[FOM] Harvey on invariant maximality

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Thu Mar 29 18:16:45 EDT 2012

Chow and Friedman are discussing 'naturalness in FOM'.  I weigh in with my opinion.

There are indeed sociological aspects to naturalness in FOM.  However, there are sociological
aspects to almost everything: the very notion of sufficient mathematical proof evolved over time
(towards more rigour) to what we have today.  Does that mean that mathematical proof is
an entirely sociological construct? No!  It has sociological aspects because the practitioners
of math form a sociological group for practical reasons.  Indeed, we believe that mathe-
mathical proof has some deeper meaning independent of these sociological underpinnings.
These are not just fictions we happen to construct!  By the way, what kind of global intercultural mass-delusion
would it be that mathematical proof would just be a sociological construct?  A much simpler
explanation is that there is some deeper meaning to mathematical proof, which we do not
fully grasp yet (and maybe never will).

I would like to make a similar claim for 'naturalness': while it indeed has sociological aspects
(e.g. the higher weight of the opinion of Big Names on naturalness) these aspects by themselves
are not all there is to naturalness.  In my opinion, there is a deeper (poorly understood) meaning to naturalness
beyond this superficial level.

The way I see it, mathematics is a growing body of knowledge, for which
at each moment in time, there is a notion of naturalness, which evolves along.  It makes sense
to talk about "Mathematics at this moment in time (March 29, 2012)", however, this object
came about by an intricate evolutionary process of thousands of years.  To capture the full meaning of such an evolutionary object in static (i.e. non-evolutionary)
terms, seems difficult. The same seems true in general for other evolutionary phenomena,
such as languages, scientific disciplines, life, intelligence, …:..   These phenomena cannot be derived from
basic principles via pure reason in a stint of intellectual labour: they have come about via
countless (but admittedly finitely many) iterations.  This evolutionary origin sets them apart
from "static" things and gives them holistic properties (like naturalness, robustness,…).

A thought experiment: imagine if we could program a computer to generate new facts
from a certain body of knowledge based on known rules.  I believe that one would
observe that "static" (i.e. non-evolutionary) bodies of knowledge (e.g. the Harry Potter
novels) would degenerate quickly into nonsense/inconsistency, whereas evolutionary
bodies of knowledge would be stable (for significantly longer time).

Of course, such a test is impossible at present, and it is still qualitative in nature
(long vs short term stability).  i believe that is the nature of naturalness: it is
fundamentally qualitative in nature, but that does not make it a sociological construct.

Sam

ps: I intend to write a more concrete post regarding the discussion at hand
(the naturalness of Harvey Friedman's new discoveries) soon.

pps: This is not an underhanded attempt at re-opening the laid-to-rest thread on fictionalism.