[FOM] Response / critical review of Franzen's Gödel book

charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 28 20:53:13 EDT 2012

	    What exactly is meant by "serious" abuses of G's thms?  I'm puzzled, since throwing around mistaken versions of G's th'm, Russell's Paradox, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle etc., are ubiquitous.  I wouldn't know what would make them "serious".   It seems clear to me that the purpose writers have in alluding to these principles is simply to appear impressive to their audience.  Sokal & Bricmont indicate that flawed technical references often achieve this purpose.