[FOM] A few more thoughts on the expression “only in a Pickwickian sense” [nominalism and pragmatism]

Margaret MacDougall Margaret.MacDougall at ed.ac.uk
Tue Mar 27 16:50:56 EDT 2012

Dear Jon

Thanks for your reply.  I see that from the perspective of Pierce's
pragmatism there is a clear requirement spelt out by the Pragmatic Maxim
as to what it takes for a mathematical entity to be meaningful.  My
original posting (see
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2012-March/016271.html) referred to
the usage of the term "only in a Pickwickian sense" as used by the
nominalist in undermining the existence of particular kinds of
mathematical objects (frequently abstract objects in general). It would
be helpful, therefore, if you would clarify whether you a) are
suggesting that some connection is implicit between Pierce's perspective
and for example, what Quine would require of a successful nominalist
system of mathematics or b) were simply providing a further example of
where the expression "only in a Pickwickian sense" is used.

Best wishes

Margaret