[FOM] Richard Epstein's view

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 27 11:32:32 EDT 2012

Arnon Avron wrote:

>Even people like Epstein should accept as meaningful and absolute
>propositions of the sort: "The formal sentence A is/isn't a theorem of
>the formal system T". I do not see how a view of mathematics (or science
>in general)  that denies this can be coherent, and in what possible sense
>can the truth of such a proposition be "only true or false in
>application".

Here is a possible sense in which the truth of such a proposition might be
regarded as "only true or false in application."  One might maintain that
the concept of a "formal sentence" is an abstraction of physically
concrete marks, and that syntactic rules are an abstraction of physical
processes for manipulating physically concrete marks.  What is
straightforwardly true is that (for example) a suitably trained human
being with normal vision and motor skills will generate certain chalk
marks on a chalkboard under certain conditions, or that (for example) a
suitably programmed electronic computer with properly functioning hardware
will generate certain patterns of pixels on an electronic display under
certain conditions.  The theoremhood of A is true only insofar as these
concrete instantiations of its theoremhood are true.

Tim