[FOM] Richard Epstein's view

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Sun Mar 18 19:29:53 EDT 2012

On Mar 18, 2012, at 5:23 AM, Neil Dewar <neil.a.dewar at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Epstein: "a claim such as 1 + 1 = 2 is not true or false, but only true or false in application.  It fails, for example, in the case of one drop of water plus one drop of water = 2 drops of water, so that such an application falls outside the scope of the theory of arithmetic."

Just an aside--  This kind of example always bothers me.  The only way that 1+1=2 fails in the case of water droplets is if we interpret "+" as a physical process of combining and "=" like the \rightarrow relation between reactants and products in chemistry.  But this is not what the symbols mean!

Best,
Monroe