[FOM] Richard Epstein's view

Neil Dewar neil.a.dewar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 08:23:28 EDT 2012

I'm not certain (having not read Richard Epstein's book, nor a great deal of Bernays), but it seems to me that this view might have some similarities to comments Bernays makes in "The Philosophy of Mathematics and Hilbert's Programme". For example,

1. Epstein: "I present a view of mathematics as a science like physics or biology, proceeding by abstraction from experience … The theory is applicable in a particular case if what we ignore in abstracting does not matter there."

Bernays: "If we pursue what we mean by the mathematical character of a consideration, it becomes apparent that the typical characteristic is located in a certain mode of abstraction that comes into play. This abstraction, which may be called formal or mathematical abstraction, consists in emphasising and exclusively taking into account the structural elements of an object … that is, the manner of its composition from its constituent parts." (pp238-9)

2. Epstein: "a claim such as 1 + 1 = 2 is not true or false, but only true or false in application.  It fails, for example, in the case of one drop of water plus one drop of water = 2 drops of water, so that such an application falls outside the scope of the theory of arithmetic."

Bernays: "For this logical dependence [the logical dependence of the theorems of an axiomatic theory upon the axioms] it does not matter whether or not the axioms placed at the beginning are true statements. The logical dependence represents a purely hypothetical connection: If things are as the axioms claim, then the theorems hold." (p236)

3. Epstein: "On this view numbers are not real but are abstractions from counting and measuring, just as lines in Euclidean geometry are not real but only abstractions from our experience of drawing or sighting lines."

Bernays: "If we want to have … the ordinal numbers as definite objects free from all inessential elements, then … we have to take the mere scheme of the relevant figure of repetition [i.e. a figure of obtaining successors] as an object; this requires a very high abstraction." (p244)

All references are to the translation in Mancosu, "From Brouwer to Hilbert". This isn't intended to suggest that Epstein's view should be taken to belong to the Hilbert programme, but rather that it may coincide with some of the philosophical motivations for that programme.

Cheers
Neil