[FOM] Richard Epstein's view

Arnon Avron aa at tau.ac.il
Sat Mar 17 13:09:37 EDT 2012

I would like to repeat an argument already made here in the past
(like almost any other argument..) concerning views of this sort, no matter
what "ism" is attached to them: Even people like Epstein
should accept as meaningful and absolute propositions
of the sort: "The formal sentence A is/isn't a theorem of
the formal system T". I do not see how a view of mathematics (or
science in general)  that denies this can be coherent, and in what
possible sense can the truth of such a proposition be "only true or
false in application".  And of course, once one understands this,
s/he sees the meaningfulness and absoluteness of
at least quantifiers-free arithmetics.

Arnon Avron