[FOM] Fictionalism About Mathematics

Feng Ye yefeng at phil.pku.edu.cn
Sun Mar 11 19:00:24 EDT 2012

Just a piece of information that might interest FOMers. A little book by a
mathematician published 45 years ago,

A. Renyi, Dialogues on Mathematics, Holden-Day, San Fransisco, 1967,

was a very interesting and, I think, quite forceful defense of fictionalism,
which was much earlier than when fictionalism became popular among
philosophers of mathematics. I happened to know Renyi's book from a paper by
Mycielski published on JSL 46 (1981), pp. 625-633, when I worked on my
dissertation.

Feng Ye