[FOM] Fictionalism About Mathematics

Justin D'Ambrosio jzdpendragon at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:59:19 EDT 2012

Fictionalism about mathematics seems to be a strange view in the following sense: Mathematics is, or is nearly, a paradigm case of knowledge. We are as certain of the claim that 2 + 2 = 4 as we are of anything else in our "web of belief", and we don't appear to mean this non-literally. But given that mathematical truths are so central to our thought, and we are so certain of them, it seems like they must be true strictly speaking if anything is. And yet the Fictionalist claims that mathematical statements are not true strictly speaking, they are only true in some ersatz sense.

It seems more reasonable to grant mathematical truths the status of "strictly speaking true", and then investigate what our semantic theory has to look like in order to accommodate the literal, bona-fide truth of mathematical claims. One reason that I think the fictionalist denies the literal truth of mathematical claims is because we have defined "literal truth" quite narrowly: as direct correspondence to some domain of objects under a standard referential semantics. That is to say, on a standard referential account of semantics, the literal truth of mathematical claims practically implies Platonism. But why think that this is the only reasonable account of truth in mathematics? Why think that this is the only reasonable account of truth in natural (or any) language?

Various alternatives to referential accounts of meaning and truth are available, many of them among the candidates that Colin McLarty outlined in his earlier message. Particularly relevant to the points made above is contextualism about truth, which, on some accounts, denies that the truth of a statement requires objects as the references of the terms in that statement, or as satisfying the statement's existential commitments. Terence Horgan has numerous papers on Contextualism, and he takes himself to be drawing on Lewis' claim that there are hidden contextual parameters in many ordinary types of statements. Perhaps this might be a direction for new work if one is concerned about Platonism, but unhappy with other competing philosophies of mathematics.

Justin D'Ambrosio