[FOM] FOM DEFLATIONISM

Panu Raatikainen panu.raatikainen at helsinki.fi
Fri Jun 29 02:51:47 EDT 2012

"John Corcoran" <corcoran at buffalo.edu>:

> I am looking for published and unpublished discussions of the origin of the
> word 'deflationism' [or cognates] as used in philosophy of logic.
>
> Who coined it and what meaning did they give it?

I think that the expression was made popular by Field's 1986 paper.
Field reports he got the term from Horwich 1982.

The early sections of the following paper of mine might be useful:

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/praatika/Chapter11-raatikainen.pdf

The first use of the term I am aware of is :

RL Cartwright(1960) 'Negative existentials',The journal of philosophy 57.

All the Best

Panu

--
Panu Raatikainen

Ph.D., University Lecturer
Docent in Theoretical Philosophy

Theoretical Philosophy
Department of Philosophy, History, Culture and Art Studies
P.O. Box 24  (Unioninkatu 38 A)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland

E-mail: panu.raatikainen at helsinki.fi