Kevin Scharp scharp.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 4 10:50:25 EDT 2012

I've read the book, and I think it is an important contribution to the
literature.  Horsten is after the most appropriate proof-theoretic formal
theory of truth for deflationism.  He ends up advocating PKF as his theory
of truth and a philosophical view he calls inferential deflationism.  I was
especially intrigued by his arguments for proof-theoretic theories over
model-theoretic ones.  I think he thinks that only proof theoretic theories
can avoid revenge paradoxes, but I'm not positive that that's the right
interpretation of his argument.

Here's a review by Bruni in NDPR:

See also Horsten's paper, "Levity," in *Mind*, 2009:

Kevin Scharp
Associate Professor of Philosophy
The Ohio State University