[FOM] A very short coding

Frode Bjørdal frode.bjordal at ifikk.uio.no
Wed Jul 11 17:32:22 EDT 2012

Here is the coding I have in mind. Let there be m symbols in the alphabet,
including a suffix variable operating variable forming operator ' (so (1) v
is a variable, (2) a variable concatenated with ' is a variable and (3)
nothing else is a variable.). Let the language be Polish.  ' is assigned 0,
and the other symbols in the alphabet are assigned the other digits in the
base m number system. Concatenation is easily defined, and the Godel code
of a string of n symbols is the number in base m gotten by concatenating
the digits in base m representing the symbols occurring in the string of n
symbols. The number value of the code of a string of n symbols in base m is
now smaller than m raised to n, so this is a very short coding.

This coding has the advantage that we can very directly read off the Gödel
number of an expression.

--

Frode Bjørdal
Professor i filosofi