[FOM] formalisation vs foundation

Gergely Buday gbuday at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 15:58:12 EDT 2012

Dear FOMers,

I would like to ask you to point to the literature on the following:
from a philosophical point of view, mathematics does not necessarily
have a 'foundation'. Logicists usually consider first-order logic as
its foundation, but some people, and the question is, who are they,
would say: considering formal logic as the foundation of mathematics
is a new phenomenon in the history of mathematics, and formalisation,
especially with theorem provers, is just a branch of mathematics, not
the foundation of it. I guess there is standard terminology for this,
please let me know.

Best Wishes

- Gergely