[FOM] iterative conception/cumulative hierarchy

Michael Lee Finney michael.finney at metachaos.net
Sat Feb 25 14:52:14 EST 2012

Thank you.

I have seen that paper before, but its been a while. I downloaded it
again (another $10, arrggghhh!) and reread it.

However, that doesn't change my opinion. Essentially, I reject both
the doctrine of limitation of size and the doctrine of the hierarchy.
Nor do I consider it necessary to reject inconsistency which desire
originally motivated both.

I consider these to be emotional crutches that many people trained in
the 1800's needed to deal with infinities. And, because of the paradoxes,
they sort of stuck (both with and without the 't'). But, if we can
change the axioms of Geometry after 1800 years, surely we can change
the axioms of Set Theory after less than 100.

A more interesting paper is "Complete Totalities" by Rafi Shalom which
can be found (free!) at http://arxiv.org/abs/1107.3519 where the idea
is that sets are "just there at once".

Once Peter Aczel did his work on non-well-founded sets, I cannot see
any justifiable reason to accept the axiom of regularity. The main
question is what form should the extensionality axiom take (since there
are competing variants)? Also, while pointed graphs may make good
expositional tools, they have no place in the founding axioms (simply
because they haven't been defined at that point in the axioms).

Michael Lee Finney
michael.finney at metachaos.net

kue> Here's an old paper by Jim van Aken (RIP) which explains
kue> the axioms of ZFC in terms of the idea of one entity presupposing
kue> others for its existence (so doing away with the notion of
kue> "forming sets" from the get-go).

kue> http://www.jstor.org/stable/2273911

kue> Michael Kremer

kue> ---- Original message ----