[FOM] f.o.m. documentary 1

Abolfazl Karimi abolfazl.karimi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:27:18 EST 2012

Hello everyone,

I believe it's a great idea to produce a documentary on foundations of
mathematics. I'll explain my case as an example of how a documentary can
inspire someone to pursue a particular field of research.

In high school, I enjoyed technology and engaged in amateur building of
robots, electrical circuits and computer programming. These led me to
choose software engineering in school of ECE in University of Tehran for
undergraduate studies. In those years I realized that my cognition is
developing to a deeper state: I could not accept the validity of the
formulas which have originated in sciences such as mathematics and physics
until I had verified them myself. Because in engineering more emphasis is
placed on how to use formulas rather than their proof, I decided to switch
to computer science for M.Sc. degree which is offered in the faculty of
mathematics. In my graduate studies, I enjoyed the meticulous attitude of
mathematicians and computer scientists, building their theories from
scratch and proving every single proposition. But I realized that something
is missing: I was interested in an all-encompassing and unifying theory
which would reveal limits of human knowledge and its foundation and most
basic axioms, rather than specializing in a narrow and secluded area of
research.

So after my graduation, I initiated an extensive research to find out in
what discipline my goals are pursued. When I was a B.S. student, I had
watched "The Elegant Universe" which is a documentary on the foundations of
physics, describing early and modern efforts to unify all of physics into
one coherent and consistent theory. It seemed to me that physics is based
extensively on mathematics (apart from experimental data), but mathematics
seemed to be independent of any other theory. Also, mathematics is more
extensively used in other sciences than physics. So I wasn't inclined to
convert to physics. Therefore, I decided to investigate whether some
unifying theory exists in mathematics. I started searching some keywords
such as "unification in mathematics" or "a theory for everything in
mathematics" until I found Gregory Chaitin's article: "Omega and why maths
has no TOEs". I read some relevant sources and was exhilarated when I knew
that all of mathematics can be embedded in set theory and also surprised by
the incompleteness results. FOM is appealing to me because it includes both
philosophical motivations and mathematical rigor. Now, it's almost a year
that I'm reading introductory textbooks and papers on Foundations and
Philosophy of Mathematics and Logic and I'm considering to continue my
studies in this field.

Best wishes for the documentary,
Abolfazl Karimi