[FOM] iterative conception/cumulative hierarchy

MartDowd at aol.com MartDowd at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 03:17:18 EST 2012

I have read the messages of this thread, and the question below seems to be
 the essential point.  The cumulative hierarchy understanding of sets is
simply that V results from iterating the power set operation through Ord.
This seems undeniable, reducing the question of  the size of V to the
question of  the size of Ord.  By the first incompleteness theorem,  this can
never be "finalized'', a more formal version of the claim that Cantor's
"absolute" can never be specified.  Only "from below" descriptions of the  size can
be given, for example in terms of closure properties.  As I have  noted in
inaccessible cardinal.

For a further remark, this perspective challenges a posteriori  arguments
for existence of "ad hoc" large cardinals, such as  measurable (or even
Ramsey) cardinals.

In a message dated 2/24/2012 12:17:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,