[FOM] criteria for the existence of infinite models of FO theories

T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 2 05:39:14 EST 2012

Related to this is the question of the minimal logical complexity of an
axiom of infinity (an axiom that has only infinite models) There is a JSL
article by Parlamento and Policriti about this which i cannot locate from
my transit lounge in Guanzhou. I think they have one that is
universal-existential, and this is obviously best possible unless one has
very fine vision. (For example, their fmla is unstratified .... and it is,
i believe, open whether or not a stratified universal-existential sentence
- or even a scheme - can be found)