[FOM] MWPMW 13. Final call for papers. 1st PMA workshop [Michael Detlefsen <mdetlef1 at nd.edu>]

Michael Detlefsen martin at eipye.com
Sun Aug 26 10:42:34 EDT 2012

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

This is an invitation to the thirteenth annual Midwest PhilMath
Workshop (MWPMW 13), to be held at Notre Dame the weekend of
Saturday, October 27th and Sunday, October 28th, 2012. As usual, the
plan is to schedule a full day of talks and discussions for Saturday
and a half day for Sunday. Also as usual, there will be a workshop
dinner Saturday evening, with all participants invited to attend as
guests of the university.

A website for the workshop will soon be up, and you'll be able to
keep up with developments there. You can get to it by following the
obvious links on the Philosophy Department's web page
(<http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/>http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/). In due
course, the location of the sessions, the schedule of talks and
abstracts for them will also be posted there.

The purpose of this note is twofold. The first is to remind you that
if you would like to give a talk, you should email a pdf of your talk
or a substantial summary of it to Paddy
(<mailto:blanchette.1 at nd.edu>blanchette.1 at nd.edu), Tim
(<mailto:bays.5 at nd.edu>bays.5 at nd.edu), Curtis
(<mailto:cfranks at nd.edu>cfranks at nd.edu) and me
(<mailto:mdetlef1 at nd.edu>mdetlef1 at nd.edu). We would like to have all
proposals for talks by September 3rd so that we can set the program
by September 12th. Talks should be 35--40 minutes, with 15--20
minutes left for discussion.

The second purpose of this note is to announce that the first meeting
of the new Philosophy of Mathematics Association (PMA) will be held
Friday, October 26th on the Notre Dame campus. Invited speakers and
their themes are:

Steve Awodey (Carnegie Mellon U): "Homotopy Type Theory and Univalent
Foundations"

Danielle Macbeth: "The Puzzle of Logic in Relation to Mathematics"

Jeremy Heis (U of California-Irvine): "Why did geometers stop using diagrams?"

Mrs. Harriet Baldwin (<mailto:baldwin.1 at nd.edu>baldwin.1 at nd.edu) is
the manager of the workshops. Please contact her with any questions
you may have concerning rooms, meals, etc.. She has booked a block of
rooms for the workshops. Since there are other conferences going on
the same weekend, demand for rooms may be high and it would thus be a
good idea to reserve a room with Harriet as soon as possible. Please
also indicate to her whether you will be joining us for dinner
Saturday evening, and let her know if you have any special dietary
requirements. She can also point you to pertinent travel information,
maps, etc..

Finally, I'd ask that you share this announcement with others you
know who might be interested, including both students and faculty. We
are fortunate once again to have limited funds to help defray
expenses for student participants coming from out of town whose
departments do not have funds to cover their costs. These funds will
generally take the form of subventions for lodging. If you are
interested in applying for a subvention, please notify Mrs. Baldwin
of that fact as soon as you can. Please also have an appropriate
faculty member from your department email me to confirm that it
cannot meet your expenses.

That's it for now. I hope you're enjoying the end of summer, and I
look forward to seeing you at the PMA workshop and MWPMW 13 in October.

Cordially,

Mic Detlefsen
Director, MWPMW 13