[FOM] Throwing Darts, Time, and the Infinite

Kenny Easwaran easwaran at usc.edu
Thu Apr 19 23:40:42 EDT 2012

I would just add - on the particular point at question here (that is,
Freiling's claim that "the real number line does not really know which
dart was thrown first or second" vs. Gwiazda's claim that the order
that the darts are thrown in really does matter), it seems that
Freiling is totally right.  The joint distribution of two dart throws
gives a space in which the event of the first dart hitting an earlier
number in the ordering than the second is unmeasurable, and so is the
converse.  It's true that conditionalizing on the location of the
first dart gives probability 1 to this event, but conditionalizing on
the location of the second dart gives probability 0 to this event.

If the probabilities are subjective probabilities, then there is no
privilege to one of the conditionalizations over the other.  If the
probabilities are objective chances, then whether one of them is
privileged depends on the metaphysics of time.  Given the most
plausible view for relativity (on which there is no distinguished time
axis), neither one will be privileged, and so there's no reason to
give up on the unmeasurability of this event, and thus no reason to
think it will almost certainly go one way rather than the other.

Kenny Easwaran