[FOM] ZF[n] and (n+2)-order arithmetic

Ali Enayat ali.enayat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 20:08:40 EDT 2011

This is a reply to the recent query of Colin McLarty (Sep 7) regarding
the relationship between n-th order arithmetic and set theory.

1. There are at least two natural notions of "relationship" one can
explore here, namely mutual interpretability  and bi-interpretability.

2. In an earlier FOM posting (Jan 19, 2010), available at the link
below, I explained the distinction between mutual interpretability and
bi-interpretability, and pointed out the system of set theory that is
bi-interpretable with second order arithmetic.
http://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2010-January/014318.html
My posting above includes a mention of Mostowski's work, and a
reference to Simpson's refinement of it in his SOSOA monograph (the
Mostowski reference is a 1961-paper of his; see ref [193] in Simpson's
book).

3. I am not aware of any published reference for the interpretability
relationship between n-th order arithmetic and appropriate set
theories. My feeling is that it is "common knowledge" that the
technique for finding the "set-theoretic equivalent" of second order
arithmetic lends itself to  a natural generalization for larger values
of n.

4. On the other hand, for 0-th order PA, i.e., PA itself, ever since
Ackermann's 1940-paper we know how to interpret ZF\{Infinity} in PA,
and of course von Neumann taught us there is an interpretation of PA
in ZF\{Infinity}.  However,

(A) ZF\{Infinity} is NOT bi-interpretable with PA, but rather
(B) ZF\{Infinity" + "every set has a transitive closure" is
bi-interpretable with PA.

Of course ZF\{Infinity} is MUTUALLY interpretable with PA, but (A) is
a rather recent result, it appears in the following paper:

A. Enayat, J. Schmerl, and A. Visser, omega-models of finite set
theory, in the soon-to-appear volume Set theory, Arithmetic, and
Foundations of Mathematics: Theorems, Philosophies (edited by J.
Kennedy and R. Kossak), Cambridge University Press, 2011.

(B) has a more complicated history. This result was established first
by Mycielski in 1964, and published in Russian in :

 Mycielski, Jan. The definition of arithmetic operations in the
Ackermann model, Algebra i Logika Seminar (1964) , 3:64–65.

However, Mycielski's result did not reach a wide audience and lay
hidden from for non-Russian readers until it was re-discovered by
Richard Kaye and Tin Lok Wong in the following paper:

On interpretations of arithmetic and set theory, Notre Dame Journal of
Formal Logic Volume 48, Number 4 (2007), 497-510.

Regards,

Ali Enayat

Message: 2