[FOM] Inconsistency of Inaccessibility

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Tue Oct 25 19:21:02 EDT 2011

Naive set theory formalized by Frege is inconsistent, but intuitively
appealing.  Without being aware of Russell's paradox a mathematician
might be inclined to say it is a correct theory of sets that captures
the principles implicit in his own use of sets.  Isn't this analogous
to the situation with inaccessible cardinals?

My point is that appeals to intuition are not, in all cases,
sufficient arguments for consistency.  When a formal inconsistency is
claimed, it must be confronted head-on.  Intuitions are no match for
proof.

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing Kiselev's argument.