[FOM] inconsistency of P

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Tue Oct 4 23:14:55 EDT 2011

I agree with what Tim said on the relation between reality and our representation thereof.
However, there seems to be an acceptable way of qualifying whether our representations are any good.

For instance, the numerous independent ways of deriving Avogadro’s constant (with negligible errors) are
taken by Ian Hacking to be sufficient evidence for the real-world existence of molecules and atoms.
(See 'Representing and Intervening: Introductory Topics in the Philosophy of Natural Science' Cambridge University Press, 1983.)

The central idea here is robustness, which is stability under (small) variations.  Our representation of reality will always contain
*some* errors, but if our model does not collapse under small variations of assumptions, then we can believe it to be close to the reality,
even though it contains some errors.  Put in another way: for robust scientific models, the errors present do not add up to anything significant.

It is an interesting question what robustness means in the foundations of mathematics.  For instance, can we use a notion of robustness to claim
that a certain logical theory is close to the 'reality' of mathematics (If you believe such to exist).