[FOM] Inconsistency of P

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Tue Oct 4 02:28:45 EDT 2011

Panu,

I agree with everything you said in this latest message, as long as
you are assuming T is consistent.  But I would like to emphasize that
your original claim-- that the hypothesized subtheory S must be very
weak-- is not correct.  If S proves "K(n)>c" for some n, then we can
indeed conclude that T is inconsistent.  But there need not be any
special deficiency of S in consistency, truth, or strength, since c
depends on T-- it is c(T), not c(S).  This was Tao's main point.  If
you are still not convinced, please provide some details of the
contrary argument you have in mind.

Best,
Monroe