[FOM] inconsistency of P

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Sat Oct 1 13:42:00 EDT 2011

Tao's claim is that the Chaitin machine must include a proof checker
for T, which is right.  He then stipulated a definition of complexity
of a theory T as the length of the smallest machine that checks proofs
in T.  Modulo some basic choices on coding Turing machines, which
seems to be necessary for Kolmogorov complexity to make sense, Tao's
notion seems well-defined.  Furthermore, we can assume these choices
are held constant in the context of Nelson's argument, in which I see
no mention of variations on coding.