[FOM] inconsistency of P

Panu Raatikainen panu.raatikainen at helsinki.fi
Sat Oct 1 00:32:47 EDT 2011

Diamondstone wrote:

> You can talk about the Kolmogorov complexity of anything that can be
> coded with a number, including any finitely axiomatizable theory
> (code the axioms with a number) or any computably axiomatizable
> theory (code the machine enumerating the axioms with a number).

Ihis is true - but it does not make sense to talk about *the*
Kolmogorov complexity of a theory, as this is totally relative to the
particular way of arithmetization, and the choice is arbitrary. You
can make the complexity of a theory T arbitrarily small, or large,
with different choices.

In particular, Tao's claim quoted above is false.

Read my:

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/praatika/chaitinJPL.pdf

Best

Panu

--
Panu Raatikainen

Ph.D., University Lecturer
Docent in Theoretical Philosophy

Theoretical Philosophy
Department of Philosophy, History, Culture and Art Studies
P.O. Box 24  (Unioninkatu 38 A)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland

E-mail: panu.raatikainen at helsinki.fi