[FOM] Grothendieck foundations: Zariski and coherent cohomology

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Wed Nov 30 19:05:28 EST 2011

> When you say sheaves below, I presume you mean on the Zariski site?

Yes, in effect.  Actually for this work I write using the Hartshorne
framework of sheaves on topological spaces, not sites, so on the
Zariski topology.

> And regarding the use of global choice over ZF[0]: is it equivalent
> (over ZF[0]) to a form of Zorn's lemma weaker than usually stated?
> Or can you isolate what fact you use in the proof of enough injectives
> to be a choice principle on its own?

I probably should not have said Zorn's lemma.  That is a remnant from
how I found the proof eventually.  Really it is a well ordering of the
universe.

I have to be able to select a (well, arbitrarily many) homomorphism
out of a class of them (i.e. arbitrarily many classes), where the
class(es) does not form a set.

So this lets me do Baer's construction of injective embeddings for all
modules on any Noetherian ring, not only for countable modules or
anything like that.  Of course the only sets that ZF[0] can prove
exist are countable, but this way if you add stronger assumptions
about say arbitrarily large modules the proof is still good for all of
them.

best, Colin