[FOM] why should we, in computer science, be excited about the possibility of speeds exceeding speed of light

meskew at math.uci.edu meskew at math.uci.edu
Tue Nov 22 16:06:42 EST 2011

This is probably just my ignorance about physics, but why would these
experimental results say anything about time travel or "acausal
processes"?  It is my understanding that if the experimental results are
valid, then relativity will have to be fundamentally rewritten.  In this
case, from what theory would you be deducing time travel?  Or are you
saying that general relativity can hold true in the face of the results,
with the explanation that closed-timelike curves were influencing the
experiments?

Best,
Monroe