[FOM] Remedial mathematics?

Walt Read walt.read at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:24:57 EDT 2011

To extend the analogy a little, the result of the work on non-standard
(non-Euclidean) models of geometry was a recognition of the other
models as equally valid. Eventually it was considered reasonable that
even ``the" universe might better be modeled by one of the
non-standard models. Do we see N the same way? Is there a unique thing
denoted by ``the natural numbers", accessible to us through intuition
or however, with the non-standard models of PA being essentially
artifacts of the formalization process? Or do the non-standard models
have equal claim as models of ``the natural numbers"? Might we at some
time in the future see one of the non-standard models as better suited
to our understanding as we learn more about natural numbers? The
latter view would make N something of a work-in-progress and would fit
well with the ``analogous (to some degree) with physical theory" view
of FOM. But it would seem to be a very different view than most people
have traditionally held. What is the position of classic FOM on this?

-Walt