[FOM] Remedial mathematics?

Jeremy Shipley jeremyrshipley at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:28:14 EDT 2011

Thanks Tim,

I see your broader point, and I agree that if ordinary mathematical
standards accepts primitive knowledge of abstract particulars (Z, N,
the iterative hierarchy) then there is an abundance of trivial
consistency proofs.  I suppose I am "revolutionary" enough a
philosopher to be willing to explore alternatives to ordinary
standards. I do not want to take up too much of your time responding
to a post referencing epistemological views that may be less familiar
to fom folks, but I would like to elaborate on the relationship
between finitism, fallibilism, and essentialism as I see it.

Regarding how things stand without an absolute refutation of the
skeptic: First, I would say that I don't think this is the only
philosophical motivation for essentialism; Second, I would argue that
both essentialism and existentialism are adaptable to fallibilist
epistemological views. For example, I do not see any barrier to
holding that knowledge of consistency is prior to knowledge of
existence (or possible existence) while also acknowledging that
knowledge of consistency lacks the infallible justification envisioned
by Hilbert's acceptance of finitist restrictions. One might, seeing
the power of ZFC for formalization projects and its role as a standard
of relative consistency in fom research, draw on Crispin Wright's
notion of epistemological entitlement (relative to an inquiry) to
warrant belief that con(ZFC). In another thread some one suggested
that contextualist and subject-sensitive invariantist epistemologies
may be relevant. I agree. Of course, fallibilist epistemological views
could just as well be pressed for accepting existence claims (prior to
axiomatization) as suggested by your example of Z, but because I think
that there are motivations for Hilbert's views (or views in the
neighborhood) that are not epistemological I don't see why the failure
of finitism should lead us to abandon essentialism.

But maybe what I'm saying is very close in many respects to your point
of view and I am just taking the wrong lesson from your example using
Z.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Shipley
Ballard and Seashore Doctoral Research Fellow

http://uiowa.academia.edu/JeremyShipley/About
jeremy-shipley at uiowa.edu
jeremyrshipley at gmail.com
847-732-4513