[FOM] Fwd: invitation to comment

Andre.Rodin at ens.fr Andre.Rodin at ens.fr
Thu May 19 03:39:32 EDT 2011

I think the message is this. While for the in-consistency of PA and ZFC we may
possibly have a sound *mathematical* argument (evidence) any attempted proof of
the consistency of these systems will be not a mathematical proof proper but
involve some further non-mathematical assumptions. So a mathematical proof of
in-consistency of PA and/or ZFC will boost further mathematical research while
the lack of such proof leaves us with this controversial mixture of
mathematical reasoning and philosophical speculation that we call foundations.

I'm sympathetic with this view, which does not imply, of course, that I think
that the philosophical speculation is useless in general or that it is useless
for maths. But we need a better separation of the two things. This is the
principal task of *critical philosophy* in Kant's sense, to which I adhere.

Andrei