[FOM] comment on the video of the lecture by Voevodsky at IAS

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Mon May 16 21:46:43 EDT 2011

I must strongly disagree with Rodin and Messing here. Tennant's
technical criticisms are not the main problem with Voevodsky's lecture.
The real howler was Voevodsky's presentation of 3 alternatives as
exhaustive, completely overlooking the obvious 4th alternative of a
hierarchy of systems of increasing strength, such that the strongest
system acceptable to him is stronger than Peano Arithmetic and proves
its consistency.

Voevodsky acted like his failure to see the well-orderedness of
epsilon_0 as an acceptably obvious axiom was all there was to say,
ignoring the existence of second order arithmetic, even weak forms of
which prove the consitency of PA. Even if Voevodsky's own work is
entirely formalizable in PA, which I doubt, I am certain that he has
read (and even refereed), and approved of as valid with no
reservations, mathematical proofs which assume some principle of
induction or set theory sufficient to prove the consistency of PA. If
those papers had included as a corollary Con(PA) wouldhe have rejected
them? if he wouldnot have, how can he say that the consistency of
arithmetic cannot be proven?

Or does he not even understand the distinction between firstand second
order arithmetic?

-- JS