[FOM] 461: Reflections on Vienna Meeting

Robert Solovay solovay at gmail.com
Sun May 15 21:12:46 EDT 2011

Rob,

Some perhaps obvious comments (which I prefer to make off list).

1) Usually (I don't claim always!) one can compress applications of
category theory into ZFC by "cheap tricks". What I have in mind is
instead of working with the full category (of sets, topological
spaces, chain complexes, etc.) by those in some V_kappa which (a) has
suitably high cofinality and (b) is a modl of Sigma_n replacement for
some large n.

2) My personal inclination is not to be fetishistic about working
**exactly*8 in ZFC but to follow Grothendieck's route and assume that
our universe is a V_kappa for some inaccessible kappa in some larger
universe of ZFC..

3) I think this approach (2) will cover all honest uses of Category
theory. Of course, people like Lawvere, who want there to be a
"category of all categories" have from time to time formulated systems
that are downright inconsistent. (As did Martin-Lof in a slightly
different context.)

To sum up my personal position, though I am an enthusiastic platonist,
I don't think there is anything magical about ZFC. It's just one
waystation along a long long road.

-- Bob