[FOM] Constructive Group Theory

T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 17:46:49 EDT 2011

Dear Dr Drago,

Please forgive me writing to you out of the blue like this, but your name
came up in a google search on the above topic. I have a medium-term project
to understand the constructive version of Quine's NF, and in the course of
this i am moved to investigate the symmetric group on the universe, which
is of course a set in NF. I have a feeling that constructive NF ought not
to be able to prove the existence of any nontrivial permuations unless
excluded middle holds - or at least that there is a weaker result of that
nature to be had. This has caused me to consider the group of permutations
that are not-not equal to the identity, which is of course a normal
subgroup of Symm(V).

But less of that! Is there a good place to start reading about constructive
group theory?

       yours

         Thomas Forster