[FOM] 'Salvaging' Voevodsky's talk

Steve Awodey awodey at cmu.edu
Wed Jun 8 14:35:07 EDT 2011

 > Dear Steve,
 >
 > I'm pleased that you are finding this work worthwhile and I look
forward to see what will emerge from this effort.

 > But, is it indeed true that you are working with system(s) that
prove con(PA)?
 > If so, Voevodsky's speculations are neither "interesting" nor
"provocative", but merely misinformed.

 > Best wishes,
 > Martin

Dear Martin,

As I said, the work going on in Homotopy Type Theory and Univalent
Foundations is entirely independent of the issue of the consistency of
PA.  Voevodsky's work on the homotopy theory of schemes also employs
methods that would prove con(PA) -- and nothing follows from that,
either.

The use of Martin L\"of type theory to directly formalize homotopy
theory, and the resulting possibility of computational foundations for
homotopy theory, and much more, represent an exciting new development
in foundations, and Voevodsky's creative insights, mathematical
sophistication, and dedicated hard work have already made huge
contributions to the foundations of mathematics.  I find it very
unfortunate that the FOM community is being made aware of these
interesting and important recent developments through the lens of this
irrelevant question about the consistency of PA.  I urge readers of
this list to keep these things separate.

Best regards,

Steve