[FOM] Truth and existence

Staffan Angere Staffan.Angere at fil.lu.se
Sat Jul 16 15:50:09 EDT 2011

There is no significant difference. It is quite possible to interpret Greek mythology so that it can be objectively true without there being any Greek gods. It is not unreasonable to hold it to be objectively true that Pallas Athena was the daughter of Zeus, since any historian of religion who claimed otherwise would be saying something false. On such an interpretation, the truth-conditions of statements about Greek mythology do not involve anything "referred to" by the singular terms in these statements, but are to be paraphrased in terms of historical evidence.

A more realistic example of the same phenomenon is the statement "there was a rainbow visible over London this afternoon". This may be true without there being an entity such as a specific rainbow at a specific point in space-time. Instead, it is made true by the presence of certain observers together with a specific interplay of water droplets and sun rays.

Staffan Angere