[FOM] Truth and existence

Alex Blum Alex.Blum at biu.ac.il
Sat Jul 16 16:31:43 EDT 2011

To Arnon and Richard,

If numbers have no causal effects, their non existence may not be missed in
giving an account of the world. I presume physics does not assume that
numbers exist. Greek mythology without the Greek gods cannot be true. One
might argue that one cannot do arithmetic without assuming that numbers
exist. But this only says that 'If you do arithmetic then you have to assume
that numbers exist', but not that 'If you do arithmetic then numbers exist'.
Alex