[FOM] 453: Rational Graphs and Large Cardinals III

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jan 20 02:33:23 EST 2011

THIS RESEARCH WAS PARTIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE JOHN TEMPLETON FOUNDATION

I now prefer a more direct finite form of the Upper Shift Fixed Point
Theorem than was presented in 452: Rational Graphs and Large Cardinals
II http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2011-January/015253.html The
finite form below is also subject to templating as in section 6 of http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2011-January/015253.html

The following will update section 2 of http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2011-January/015253.html

2. EXPLICITLY Pi01 PROPOSITIONS.

We now give a natural finite form of the Upper Shift Fixed Point
Theorem. We write ush(A) for the upper shift of A contained in Q^k.

FINITE UPPER SHIFT EQUATION THEOREM. For all order invariant R
contained in Q^2k, there exists finite A_1 containedin ... containedin
A_n containedin Q^k, such that each A_i = A_i#\R<A_i+1 contains
ush(A_i-1).

This statement is explicitly P02. However, it is easy to double
exponentially bound the size of the finite sets, and then also the
magnitudes of the numerators and denominators, thereby obtaining
explicitly P01 sentences.

THEOREM 2.1. The Finite Upper Shift Equation Theorem is provable in SRP
+. It is provably equivalent to Con(SRP) over EFA. These results hold
for some fixed k, with n varying.

I use http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~friedman/ for downloadable
manuscripts. This is the 453rd in a series of self contained numbered
postings to FOM covering a wide range of topics in f.o.m. The list of
previous numbered postings #1-449 can be found
in the FOM archives at http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2010-December/015186.html

450: Maximal Sets and Large Cardinals II  12/6/10  12:48PM
451: Rational Graphs and Large Cardinals I  12/18/10  10:56PM
452: Rational Graphs and Large Cardinals II  1/9/11  1:36AM

Harvey Friedman