[FOM] on numerical cognition

catarina dutilh cdutilhnovaes at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 03:40:18 EST 2011

Related to the previous thread on integers and symbols, I thought it might be
useful to provide some references on recent empirical work on numerical
cognition. There has been a vast number of articles published on the topic in
the last decades, and even though there are still quite a few open questions,
some robust results on numerical cognition in infants, children and untrained
adults have emerged. One of them is that, while we seem to have an almost
'innate' understanding of low cardinals, or at least to be able to judge
correctly and exactly the number of objects in a collection at a glance IF the
number is low (usually up to three), after that we seem to operate with
estimates and numerosities rather than with exact numbers.

There is quite some work done on this in populations whose languages lack words
for numbers larger than 2 or 3. Beyond 3, a child needs to be taught to count in
order to be able to perform simple arithmetic operations. One interesting result
is that both young children and untrained adults seem to have a logarithmic
representation of the sequence of the natural numbers, rather than a linear one.
There is a very influential article on this which appeared in Nature fairly
recently:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/320/5880/1217

The first author of this article is Stanislas Dehaene, who is one of the main
researchers in the field. He also has a survey book, called 'The Number Sense'
(and some have remarked that it would have been more accurate to call it 'The
Numerosity Sense', given that untrained adults seem to operate with numerosities
rather than with exact numbers beyond very small quantities), but was published
in 1997, and in the meantime many more new results have emerged.

For recent and comprehensive overviews on the topic, I suggest two papers by
Helen de Cruz and collaborators:

http://kuleuven.academia.edu/HelenDeCruz/Papers/165885/The_innateness_hypothesis_and_mathematical_concepts

http://kuleuven.academia.edu/HelenDeCruz/Papers/227628/The_cognitive_basis_of_arithmetic

Some of the researchers who have done important work in the field are: Alan
Leslie, Rochel Gelman, Randy Gallistel (all three at Rutgers), Elizabeth Spelke
and Susan Carey (both at Harvard), among many others. In other words, there are
solid results in the field, so there is no need for us to speculate and treat
issues which are empirical as non-empirical. The data are there for those who
are interested.

This being said, Let me add that to approach the foundations of mathematics from
the point of view of the actual ontogeny of mathematical concepts in humans is
but one possible approach. I am personally very sympathetic to such a
naturalistic approach, by the way, but the determination of the most primitive
concepts within mathematics need not necessarily be grounded  in how humans
actually develop these concepts. For example, the fact that we don't seem to
have a natural grasp of the concept of 'successor' does not mean that PA or any
other axiomatization of arithmetic relying on this notion is completely flawed:
the concept of successor may be a conceptually primitive element even if it is
not a cognitively primitive element (and in any case, the very notion of the
sequence of the natural numbers as linear is not something that we seem to grasp
intuitively without at least being trained to count, as the paper by Dehaene et
al. in Nature suggests). In other words, all this does not imply that the
foundations of mathematics should become an empirical, psychological enterprise
exclusively.

Regards,

Catarina