[FOM] Induction, cut, and normalization

Jeffrey Sarnat jeffrey.sarnat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 18:47:54 EST 2011

This is a common misconception. Really it depends
entirely on how you formulate induction.

For example, Martin-Löf proved normalization for
an intuitionistic, natural-deduction formulation
of arithmetic based on iterated inductive
definitions in "Hauptsatz for the intuitionistic
theory of of iterated inductive definitions."
Moreover, James Brotherston proved
cut-elimination for a classical, sequent-calculus
formulation of this system in his thesis.

Problems tend to arise when induction is
formulated axiomatically, but, in my opinion,
this fundamentally has more to do with the
proof-theoretic ill-behavedness of axioms than
with the nature of induction itself.

It's also worth mentioning that, if one is
satisfied with proving cut elimination on a
restricted class of formulae/sequents (e.g.
atomic formulae, the empty sequent) then the
induction axiom (and axioms in general) can usually be eliminated.

       Jeff