[FOM] Frank Quinn article in January Notices

Michael Blackmon differentiablef at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 10:11:56 EST 2011

Dear David,

(Beforehand, let me apologize for jumping in from the shadows like so
many internet boogie men.)

It seems to me the issue Monroe has taken with your example is precisely
the one outlined in the article originally referenced; Namely that the
business of mathematics is certainty and 'truth.'

While it might be the case that we study systems in which the principle
of excluded middle fails--as is the case with statistical hypothesis
testing after interpretation--we do so from a removed perspective.
Removed in the sense that we are concerned with the validity of
particular atomic statements (e.g. "1 - P(X < \theta) < 0.95") for which
the absolute (with respect to the system we are working) truth or
falsity can in principle be determined (as pointed out.)

A running theme in Quinns' article is that: beyond the Facts a
Mathematician can establish about a system, there is little else he is
concerned with. In this sense, the example of statistical testing is not
adequate to refute this claim. This is because the interpretation of the
results of the test are not within the domain of mathematics proper.
This is precisely the point Quinn makes when he initially talks about
Hilberts axiomatization of geometry. The careful distinction being
ignored is the one made between semantics and syntax.

>From a syntactic perspective the failure of excluded middle is easy to
spot and rather trivial: f(f(x)) != x (for some f a function of one
variable, and variable x). However, in order for any such example to
have weight in this context you must give the symbols f and x meaning,
which (strictly speaking) steps outside of the system being studied.

It is in this way the presence of the statement \exists x (f(f(x)) !=
x), and the failure of excluded middle are distinct entities which
cannot be identified within the confines of a fixed system.

This is also why your topos example fails here.