[FOM] Frank Quinn article in January Notices

Walt Read walt.read at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:05:24 EST 2011

Vaughn:

I think I added to the confusion by conflating physics and statistics.
The point wasn't that physics is inaccurate, at least not in any sense
statistics speaks to, as in "refinement of precision of its
fundamental constants". It's rather that physics has very different
assumptions and goals. The physicist assumes a reality "out there" and
tries to understand that reality by building models, the criterion for
understanding being prediction. In the terms you suggest, he knows
it's *this* world but otherwise not what world it is. It's seriously
underspecified. The mathematician, by choosing a world or by faith in
intuitions about this world or maybe just by faith in a reliable
logical ability we all share (ignore the grumblings of that
evolutionary biologist), has certain knowledge about fundamental
patterns, so much so that we feel confident making infinite
statements. For example, there really are infinitely many primes. In
regard to excluded middle, we can discuss whether that was always true
or only became true when proved. But we generally agree that it's true
and will remain true forever. By contrast, the physicist has to be a
strict finitist. Rather than hypothetical balls and urns, about which
we can assume complete knowledge in the analysis, they have things
like electrons or neutrinos. And the point isn't so much that
electrons might not behave that way - that's a modeling issue - but
that even if the analysis does go through today they might learn
something about electrons tomorrow that completely changes the
conditions. So we get to fuss about next-level issues, like
consistency and completeness and excluded middle, while they have to
worry about just getting it right in a sometimes rapidly changing
environment.

-Walt