[FOM] paper announcement

Nik Weaver nweaver at math.wustl.edu
Wed Dec 28 22:09:49 EST 2011

> I'm puzzled by your comments about Item 3. In what formal system do
> you prove the consistency of the system in question?
>
> -- Bob Solovay

This was surprising to me.  Although the system CC has a version of
full comprehension, it actually seems to be quite weak!  I expect
that with a little effort the consistency proof could be formalized
in PA.  The proof as I give it invokes the fact that an increasing
transfinite sequence of subsets of omega eventually stabilizes, but
that is pretty obviously overkill.

Here is a direct link to the paper, if you like.  The system is
described in Section 4 and the consistency proof is Theorem 5.1.
It's not hard.

http://math.wustl.edu/~nweaver/concepts.pdf

Nik