[FOM] Frank Quinn article in January Notices

A. Mani a_mani_sc_gs at yahoo.co.in
Sat Dec 24 09:18:14 EST 2011

On Thursday 22 Dec 2011 11:00:22 PM Timothy Y. Chow
wrote:
> Strictly speaking there is not much here that hasn't
already been said by
> Quinn, or others, before, but I felt that Quinn has
articulated several
> points particularly clearly and forcefully in this article.  I
personally
> believe that his main thesis is correct and important: that
mathematics
> underwent a revolution in precision and rigor about a
century ago; that
> the reasons for this revolution are poorly understood by
almost everybody,
> even many professional mathematicians; and that this
lack of understanding
> has caused dangerously widening rifts in the
mathematical, scientific, and
> educational worlds.

+1

On a related note, the reasons for avoiding diagrammatic
reasoning and diagrams of different kinds in mathematical
reasoning for example, are not explained to most people.
That is also because the subject has to do with 'non-
mathematical' aspects.

(http://www.ippt.gov.pl/~zkulpa/diagrams/ ) and related
references provide some hints for questions relating to
admissible reasoning with diagrams in the mathematical
and scientific domain.

Best

A. Mani

--