[FOM] Frank Quinn article in January Notices

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 22 12:30:22 EST 2011

Frank Quinn has an article in the current (January 2012) Notices of the
AMS entitled, "A Revolution in Mathematics? What Really Happened a Century
Ago and Why It Matters Today."

http://www.ams.org/notices/201201/rtx120100031p.pdf

Strictly speaking there is not much here that hasn't already been said by
Quinn, or others, before, but I felt that Quinn has articulated several
points particularly clearly and forcefully in this article.  I personally
believe that his main thesis is correct and important: that mathematics
underwent a revolution in precision and rigor about a century ago; that
the reasons for this revolution are poorly understood by almost everybody,
even many professional mathematicians; and that this lack of understanding
has caused dangerously widening rifts in the mathematical, scientific, and
educational worlds.

Tim