[FOM] expressive power of natural languages

John Kadvany jkadvany at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 10 12:18:47 EST 2011

A mathematical theory addressing natural language problem formulations is
prospect theory, created by the late Amos Tversky and Daniel Kahneman. The
theory involves first a framing step which is explicitly intensional, such as
whether a probabilistic decision problem is stated as "lives saved" rather
than "lives lost".  The framing induced by the problem statement determines
the selection of a reference point from which relative gains or losses are
measured.  This is in contrast to traditional utility or value theories in
which final assets (wealth, lives, health) are all that matters.

The reference point is combined with a mathematical value function which is
concave for gains and convex for losses around the reference point, and
steeper for losses compared to gains, meant to model that with informal
gambles people are often risk-seeking to limit losses while risk-averse for
similar sized gains.  Values are weighted by probabilities translated into
weights, e.g. so that probabilities near 1 or 0 get over-weighted, again as
typical in many empirical settings. The whole framework therefore combines
natural language formulations with a more traditional, though highly modified,
mathematical approach similar to utillity and expected value calculations.
'Intensionality', while recognized, is not a typical term of art in this
research, and is effectively addressed through framing and attention to the
informal languages of probability often used to express judgments under
uncertainty.

There is additional research on the construction of preferences for
probability gambles, again involving different framing options for choices
among gambles. Lichtenstein's and Slovic's edited book The Construction of
Preference covers much, including complete preference reversals as one of the
most dramatic and predictable effects. Empirical work has used real settings
including Las Vegas gamblers, insurance, stock market investment, and medical
decision-making.  Variant studies involving non-quantified or vaguely stated
uncertainty goes back at least to (Daniel) Ellsberg's paradox and is yet
another approach to mixing natural language formulations with mathematical
interpretations.

 John Kadvany

  _____