[FOM] expressive power of natural languages

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Dec 1 18:06:08 EST 2011

On 12/1/2011 8:32 AM, John Kadvany wrote:
> My sense is also that Jackendoff, long
> of the generative school, also sees much of linguistic complexity as being
> handled by human cognition rather than being coded up via some mathematical
> representation.

Are these necessarily mutually exclusive?  Absence of a mathematical
representation sounds more like a symptom of either lack of progress
towards understanding human cognition, or rejection of mathematics as an
aid to description and analysis, than a property of language and how
it's understood.

Vaughan Pratt