[FOM] Herbert B. Enderton (1936-2010)

jean-yves beziau beziau100 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:09:03 EDT 2010

Herb was a great logician and a very nice man.
His textbooks on mathematical logic and set theory are excellent.
Herb knew a lot of logic, details that make the difference.
He was the review editor of JSL/ ASL duirng many years and one of the key
animator of the UCLA seminar in mathematical logic.
I saw him for the last time in 2006 when giving a talk there at UCLA  - good
memories.
Jean-Yves.

        With sadness we report the death on October 20 of Herbert Bruce
Enderton, who had been battling leukemia for several months.  He was
Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at UCLA and a former member of the
faculties of Mathematics and of Logic and the Methodology of Science at
Berkeley.  Widely known for his textbooks in the areas of logic, Enderton
was a contributor to recursion theory, the theory of definability, models of
analysis, computational complexity, and history of logic.

        The Enderton family requests that flowers not be sent.  There will
be no funeral, but a memorial service will be held at a future date.

John W. Addison
University of California at Berkeley