[FOM] is logic universal?

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 22 02:30:10 EDT 2010

A common element in all four of the essays in this issue of Logica
Universalis (of which the first, Gaines's, is far and away the longest)
is that they assume a local reasoner, one whose sensors and reasoning
apparatus are all sufficiently near each other to make communication
time between them a negligible factor.

This assumption comes to a head in decentralized management and
distributed computing as exemplified by the Internet. (And perhaps
physics, though I don't have much of a handle on it yet; likewise
biology, at least at the level of ecosystems if not individual organisms.)

The problem is that a distributed organization, such as an army on the
battlefield, or a multinational corporation, may sometimes have to
respond to situations in a time-frame too short to convey the situation
to headquarters, yet long enough to get it to a responsible nearby
representative of management for suitable handling.

If we postulate a common goal or objective function for the
organization, then there ought to be some sort of rationally based
system by which it optimizes its behavior relative to that goal subject
to the prevailing limitations and urgencies.

Such a system would surely fit within the scope of a logical system, one
that reasons logically about appropriate facts, responses, behaviors,
protocols, etc, but in a distributed way that trades off urgency against
communication delay.

I bring this up because quite some time ago I found dynamic logic (and
related modal logics of behavior) suitable only for traditional
centralized reasoning systems and not appropriate for distributed
systems.  I therefore moved towards a more physically motivated
semantics that took delay into consideration.

A result was that the conventional notion of truth disappeared because
there was no locus of "truth at a point" (or in a world) in the
traditional sense.   In place of pointwise truth I found myself working
with natural transformations between functors.  The Curry-Howard
isomorphism confers on these an analogue of logical structure.  What I
found hard to convey however is that there is no natural way to convert
this back to pointwise truth; the truth in a natural transformation, to
the extent one can even imagine there could be such a thing, is an
intrinsically distributed notion of truth.

This is not something that has a counterpart in the extant notions of
"universal logic."

I bring this up more as a question than an answer, namely how to make
sense of this concept.  So far I don't have a clearly convincing story
to tell.  I do however hope to be able to develop the idea in more
detail as more of the structure becomes clear to me, which has been a
slow process.

The relevant semantics is abstractly that of *-autonomous categories,
and concretely Chu spaces as a natural generalization of Nielsen,
Plotkin and Winskel's event structures, see e.g.
http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/coimbra.pdf and
http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/seqconc.pdf for my most recent thinking on
this (which is not all that recent).
http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/topoalg.pdf *is* more recent but suffers
from being both cryptic (being just slides for a talk) and tangential.
I'm currently working on a paper that may tie some of this together better.

Vaughan Pratt