[FOM] Countable sets with imprediicative definitions

Jeffrey Sarnat jeffrey.sarnat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 13:10:37 EST 2010

Although I may be mistaken, someone here will probably reply saying that
the ordinal Gamma_0 (or, equivalently, the set of ordinals smaller than
Gamma_0) is the canonical example of such a set. I've never understood
this, so I won't be that person. Instead, I'd like to ask you to clarify a
subtle point in your question: do you consider the identity of a set to be
defined only by its elements, or by the properties it satisfies? This
makes a difference.

For example, the set of well-typed System F terms and the set of
normalizing System F terms can both be given predicative definitions, but
to show that the former is a subset of the latter it is absolutely
essential to make use of impredicative reasoning, most commonly in the
form of an impredicatively-defined logical relation (e.g. using
reducibility candidates or saturated sets).

 	Jeff